If the right acid-alkaline ratio is not maintained, all the healthy foods you eat will be contraindicative. That will reflect in the blood pH, which in turn controls energy , assimilation of nutrients into the body and overall vitality.
The pH (hydrogen ion) is measured on a scale of 1-14 which means seven is neutral. If your acid levels are 3.5, you have an acidity problem. If the pH value is maintained between 7.35-7.45, that is ideal. Anything less than 6 is highly acidic, while anything over 8 is more on the alkaline side.
Why is acidity bad?
- Acidic blood prevents oxygen from reaching cells thereby causes malfunctioning, in digestion and energy production.
- Acidic foods contribute to lowering the blood’s pH and cause kidney stones, an increased risk for cancer, prevent the liver from being able to detoxify and overall reduction of bone density. Acidic foods can also erode the stomach lining causing ulcers.
- Acidifying foods also have the potential to cause cravings for more acidic foods. Eating less acidic food helps the body in retaining nutrients.
Acidic foods to avoid
- The acidic foods to avoid are meat as animal protein can be acidic once metabolized. The uric acid formation is not good for kidneys.
- Due to the dysfunctional mineral relationship, it’s better to avoid Dairy products. Cow’s milk, unfortunately, does not give necessary Calcium and Phosphorus. Grains are difficult to digest and create inflammation in the body, but also because they’re acidifying.
- Moderate consumption of Legumes (mildly acidifying food), but they also come with several health benefits like reduction in blood sugar. Limiting consumption of eggs is better as they are uric-acid and mucus forming.
- Nuts are also on the acidic side however less in comparison. Nuts balance out your Omega 3s with Omega 6s, which is key.
- Vegetable Oils are mildly acidifying.
- Alcohol is an acidifying food that, when metabolized, robs the body of alkalizing minerals such as magnesium.
- Coffee is acidic because it also requires the release of minerals from the body to be buffered when metabolized.
- White or refined sugar is highly acid forming.
It’s almost impossible to completely avoid all acidic foods, therefore when consuming acidic foods, it’s about creating a balance between the acidity and alkalinity levels.
These are some things you can do:
- Drink water
- Lemon shot
- Add something raw
- Green juices are magic
- Try to keep the sugar, carbs and oil intake less for the rest of the day or the next day
- Chew slowly
- Eat only in a stress free restful environment
- Breathe deeply
- 20 minutes before eating the food drink a big glass of water
- Sip water during the meal
- Sit upright and cross legged if you can